The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity (TEEB) is a global study, initiated by the G8 and five major developing economies and focusing on 'the global economic benefit of biological diversity, the costs of the loss of biodiversity and the failure to take protective measures versus the costs of effective conservation'. TEEB makes the case for integrating the economics of biodiversity and ecosystem services in decision-making.
Felix Dodds spoke on a platform on Adaptation Policy in International Negotiations at the UN Water-DPAAC. He underlined the role that the new Water and Climate Coalition is playing in mobilising stakeholder involvement in the Climate negotiations and outlined a roadmap from now through Cancun (COP16), Johannesburg (COP17) to Rio+20 in 2012 for the water community.
On the 14th of June Felix Dodds addressed a joint meeting of WWF and IUCN staff. He gave an overview of plans for Rio+20 and opportunities for WWF and IUCN to advance their priorities.
Felix Dodds from Stakeholder Forum was one of the delegates from 17 countries who met in Ottawa on the 11th of June with Len Edwards, Prime Minister Stephen Harper's representative at the Group of 20, and Graham Flack, a senior international official at the Finance Department.
By Uchita De Zoysa
In one of the first international previews of Rio+20 Ychita de Zoysa (Chairman of Global Sustainability Solutions) attempts to make inroads into the Earth Summit processes, with the hope of engaging as many stakeholders and people across the world as possible.
Stakeholder Forum is hosting a meeting in London on 15th July for UK stakeholders to discuss the Rio+20 Earth Summit in 2012.
For more information please click here.
Over 200 people from governments, UN Agencies and Programmes and stakeholders attended the UN NGLS and Stakeholder Forum conference 'New Foundations for the Future: Looking ahead to Earth Summit 2012’, on May 15th. By all accounts it set the tone and created formidable intellectual input to the first preparatory meeting for RiO+20 which started on the 17th of May. Many of the key ideas from the conference found their way into the chairs text, which can be found here (http://www.un.org/esa/dsd/rio20/resources/pdfs/prepcom1/CoChairsSummary.pdf ).
More Articles ...
- Update on the review of stakeholder engagement in UNFCCC
- • New publication as part of the IUCN and Nature series now out: NEGOTIATE – Reaching Agreements Over Water
- SF at the UN CSD
- Co-Chair’s Summary report on First Preparatory Committee Meeting for the Earth Summit has now been released.
- Felix Dodds is asked to present on ‘advancing the implementation of CSD Decisions’
- NEW: SF is hosting a training session on How to Lobby at intergovernmental meetings
- UK Multi-stakeholder Dialogue on Earth Summit promotes lively discussion and debate
- Stakeholder Forum and NGLS Earth Summit Conference great success